How to suggest new features for Vim
Better way of proposal
Be merged in Vim, is difficult
- Dynamic loading (if_perl and others)
- aquote/iquote textobj (idea from 2ch)
- User defined completion
- Direct Draw
- etc/many bug fixes
I am an expert to propose new features for Vim!
- I just came up with a good idea!
- Listen to me, I have great idea! (send mail to vim-dev)
- Why leaders didn't listen to my awesome idea...
Why this happend?: Missing Links
- Share PROBLEM
- Illustrate SOLUTION
- Show EVIDENCE
Missing Links (Vim specific)
- Vim is the TEXT EDITOR
- not an IDE
- not a Programming Language
- not a Runtime
- A patch is very important
How to Propose, (recursively)
- Lack of sharing PROBLEM
- Lack of illustrating SOLUTION
- Lack of EVIDENCE
Problem: Character classes such as [a-z] to not react to 'ignorecase'.
Breaks man page highlighting. (Mario Grgic)
Solution: Add separate items for classes that react to 'ignorecase'. Clean
up logic handling character classes. Add more tests.
Files: src/regexp_nfa.c, src/testdir/test64.in, src/testdir/test64.ok
*** ../vim-7.4.000/src/regexp_nfa.c 2013-08-01 18:27:51.000000000 +0200
--- src/regexp_nfa.c 2013-08-14 11:49:50.000000000 +0200
*** 29,34 ****
--- 29,37 ----
# define NFA_REGEXP_DEBUG_LOG "nfa_regexp_debug.log"
- Lack of STRATEGY: philosophical incomprehension (無理解)
- Build STRATEGY
- Known your PROBLEM
- Make SOLUTION simple
- Write a PATCH
Leverage vim-jp: reviewer, collaborator and others
- Tokyo Big Sight
- Spartan Vim vol.3
- Vim Towel (?)